Concordia University Wisconsin is a higher education institution and an affiliate of the ten-member Concordia University System, which is operated by the second-largest Lutheran church body in the United States, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).
The University is a co-educational, NCA-accredited University with 48 undergraduate education programs and eight graduate programs.
The University’s mission statement reads: “Concordia University Wisconsin is a Lutheran higher education community committed to helping students develop in mind, body, and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and the world.”
Mascot: Freddy the Falcon
The University is located in Mequon, Wisconsin, a city of just over 20,000 citizens about fifteen minutes north of Milwaukee. Residing on the shore of Lake Michigan, the University owns a 155-acre campus with over 3.5 miles of halls.
https://www.cuw.edu/ – the official website.
Address and Contacts
Concordia Wisconsin Campus
12800 N Lake Shore Drive
Mequon, WI 53097
Phones: 262.243.5700 / 1.888.628.9472
Concordia University Wisconsin was opened in 1881 at Trinity Lutheran Church in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Classes were taught in the basement of the building, with only 13 students in attendance. One year later, the college, known then as Concordia College, purchased nearby land to install a permanent facility.
Purchase of Current Facility
The current location of Concordia University Wisconsin was formerly a Roman Catholic nunnery owned and operated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame in affiliation with the Roman Catholic Church.
In the early 1980s, the School Sisters of Notre Dame sought out buyers for their facility. Among those who offered to buy the school were Concordia College of Milwaukee and the State of Wisconsin, which was considering using the facility for a penitentiary. It was rumored that the School Sisters also received offers from a more theologically-contemporary church, but refused the offer on the basis of their liberal liturgical heritage. The Sisters, desiring to preserve their religious heritage, decided to accept a reduced offer from the liturgically more traditional Lutheran Chruch–Missouri Synod’s Concordia College.
Growth in Class
Seeing an opportunity for growth, the College asked its Missouri Synod to become a four-year institution for its programs in engineering, social work, teacher education, and nursing. In 1978, the request was approved.
On August 27, 1989, the college sought from the Board of Regents approval to gain university status. The Board approved the request, making Concordia University Wisconsin the first among the ten colleges of the Concordia University System to achieve this standing.
Following the installment of current president Rev. Dr. Patrick Ferry, the University saw tremendous growth in enrollment. In less than ten years, the University nearly doubled the size of its undergraduate student body to approximately 1,600. Also expanded were its adult education programs, which soon became among the largest in Lutheran higher education. As of its 125th academic year (2005-2006), Concordia University Wisconsin became the largest Lutheran school by enrollment in the United States.
Rev. Christoph Henry Loeber. 1885, installed.
Rev. Max Albrecht. 1893, installed.
Rev. G. Christian Barth. 1912, installed.
Dr. Walter W. Stuenkel. 1953, installed.
Dr. Wilbert Rosin. 1977, installed.
Rev. Dr. R. John Buuck. 1979, installed.
Rev. Dr. Patrick Ferry. 1997, installed.
Patrick T. Ferry – installed 1997 (current president).
Concordia University Wisconsin is home to several student publications. Among the most read are the University’s official student newspaper, The Concordia Beacon, which was founded in 1984. Prior to the Beacon’s first publication in 1984, The Courier was the official student newspaper.
The University also has many unofficial publications, such as the controversial The Shadow newspaper, which is a fictional satire that prints “whenever it wants.” The paper has been criticized for its views on administrative decisions.